Thursday, September 12, 2024

Flood of Information 9.12.2024

    We live in interesting times. In the 21st century information is both cheap and valuable. We have all the information we need—indeed more than we need. It is scarcely possible to fully process all the information that comes to our attention any given day. Computers of all kinds; desktop, laptop, tablet, and smartphone are constantly available to answer our every question and to fill every possible information gap—but the flood rushes on.

    Over the last couple of weeks, I encountered two interesting stories in the New York times (Which I specifically read for these kinds of stories). One was entitled America Must Free itself from the Tyranny of the Penny. It was a hoot. Irony and satire illustrating a real and frustrating problem. Here is the link. https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/01/magazine/worthless-pennies-united-states-economy.html

    The second interesting article had a more distinctly theological slant. In fact, I used this article about the Shakers in Sunday School last week citing their expression of what I described as a “theology of extinction.” Again, here’s the link.  https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/05/magazine/shakers-utopia.html

    I have some 6,000 electronic resources in my Bible software suites. Many more thousands of PDFs. There are books on my shelves awaiting my attention along with fresh Emails, texts, and other electronic sources. In preparing for this week’s preaching, writing, and teaching I have everything I need within a few steps of my desk or clicks of my mouse. 

    And that is no guarantee that I will use all this available information wisely, accurately, or appropriately. Access is not wisdom, and abundance does not imply clarity. And for all the talk of artificial intelligence most of us simply need to take the time to apply the God-given “natural” intelligence that we’ve been given to the tasks at hand. 

    During September and October as I think about this year and prepare for next, I will spend a lot of time considering this flood of information that confronts all of us as contemporary preachers. Do I need more? Do I have the right kinds of resources to help me understand the text more accurately and communicate it with greater clarity? How do I keep my head above water—just in my professional domain of Biblical Studies, Theology, and Ministry?  Here are a couple of thoughts. I may be repeating myself. That’s OK I need to hear and remember these things as much as you do.

    To begin with, I know I have said or written this dozens of times, “Put a screen on your funnel.” This is good advice I picked up in college and have used for more than forty years. To this basic truth I would add, “filter with a purpose.” Like many of you I have many interests. I have to carefully restrict the amount of time I give to information that “interests” me as opposed to the information that helps me to be a better preacher. There is a time and a place for those interesting bits and pieces. As you read, scroll, or flip you need to always have some idea how you might possibly use the information. Is it for general reference?  Is the topic relevant to something I am soon preaching? Is there a direct or indirect theological corollary? 

    Next, I would reframe the issue this way. “Yes, there is a flood of information. Who controls your floodgates?” Just because it lands in one of your in-boxes or, just because it’s on you reading list does not mean it is an immediate priority. And when you do read it, you are in control of the depth of the process. You can quickly skim books or articles or read at depth and take notes. You can even read for entertainment or choose to forget something. There are simply some things that we need to forget as quickly as we read them, some books we need to quit in the middle, and some matters we should just drop. Not because they are not interesting—but because they are.

    You control the filter. You control the flood gates. There are times when you will need a finer mesh. There are occasions when you need to close the gates and deal with the “pool” that you have. If all that we ever do is consider the size of this problem without applying realistic solutions we will find ourselves in the rut of “Too much to do, too much to read; not enough time.” That is simply unnecessary. This is something you can get better at. Last week we talked about inventorying books and reviewing reading lists. This is an extension of that process. So much of the information we use in the twenty-first century is electronic that we need to use sound methods of organizing and curating that material to ensure that we learn what we need to know to improve our approach to the text and current exegetical discussions. 

    What greatly concerns me is that when overwhelmed by the flood, many simply settle for the next thing they see or the turn-key substitutes for doing the hard work of preparation. That may get you a sermon for this week, but it hardly will build a life of fulfilling ministry.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home